Street Art: Flaming Cactus on Astor Place


This morning as I walked out the front door I stumbled onto the lamp post outside my building and had to smile – and actually touch it! Ah those NY moments. The colorfully decorated column was the same lamp post I had embarrassedly bumped into once (not my fault - it is perfectly in your way if you are running trying to hail a passing cab as soon as you step onto the sidewalk – you know what I mean?). Well that would not have happened today, since the neon orange zip ties that hug the post would have certainly flashed in my peripheral vision., that’s how colorful they are. What a great idea!! Looking closer I found the information on a paper hanging at the bottom of the posts.

The “Flaming Cactus” installation is by the Animus Arts Collective and commissioned by the City. Fluorescent plastic cable ties will bedeck fourteen lampposts in the East Village. At least five are on my block, lucky me. Great example of those small surprises that pop up in our routine that make this city so exciting to live in. Thank you Animus Arts Collective and the city’s Department of Transportation for an unexpected dose of animation to my morning!


Bookmark and Share